Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Anatomy of My Shitty Day
by Robyncz

8:00 a.m.--Desperate phone call from dear friend having a panic attack. She can't breathe. Her rat-bastard husband of 12 years has been cheating on her the whole damn time they've been married (some of which she knew about, some of which she didn't) and he's decided that now he doesn't love her any more. She's a wreck. I quickly organize a meeting of Good Friends who happen also to be Very Strong Women to try to lovingly beat some emotional sense into her.
11:00 a.m.--En route from pow-wow of Very Strong Women, I have a flat tire. Crap. Desperate Friend turns the tables and rescues me. I hang out at her house while tire is being replaced.
1:30 p.m.--En route from tire place du jour I discover that Underpaid Tire Idiots have broken the sensor that tells my fancy-pants car computer whether tires are inflated correctly. Warning, Warning Will Robinson!
2:00--I pick up youngest daughter from preschool. She's pissed because I forgot to bring her a fresh cup of juice for the ride home. Yeah, well I haven't been home since I dropped you off, punkin'. You're going to have to live with it!!!!
4:45--I take the girls to swim lessons and spend 45 minutes running on the indoor track at the Y. The air conditioning is b a r e l y hanging on. Still, it's definitely the best part of my day.
6:00--Davy's mom calls to say his grandmother, age 93, and a woman I hold very dear, has had a heart attack and is going into kidney failure. She's not expected to live through the night. Davy, the girls, and I visted her in Milwaukee in February. I knew at the time it might be our last chance, but I'm feeling very unprepared for this nonetheless.

Did I mention the three huge projects I'm working on right now--for three different clients? All with major deadlines this week? I had sketched out a critical schedule of the tasks I needed to complete each day in order to make the deadlines. Let's just toss that baby in the garbage. My schedule is screwed, and I can't seem to concentrate on the work I need to do. It might be a good night to catch up on tivo'ed episodes of the Real World Key West (shhhhh, nobody knows my dirty little secret) with a large tumbler of moderately priced pinot noir.

Crap. This day sucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remind me to quit complaining about the dumb stuff I deal with.

That's a helluva day. Your friend is going to need a lot of Strong Women support for quite a long time, I reckon. Even if, on some level, she's known this day was in the mail, it's still devestating for someone who said that'd love you forever to decide they want to leave you. She's going to be crazy for while.

Was the 45 minutes working out really the highlight of the day? Ouch...