Thursday, January 11, 2007

Beckham signs with the Los Angeles Galaxy.

There are few sports headlines that grab my attention, but this did. I mentioned it to Davy, who is so good at seeing through these things. While I figured Beckham had lost his mind (or at least his magic touch), Davy sees things differently. It's a win-win, he says (well, he didn't actually say "win-win" but that's my interpretation). Beckham's no fool. His brand goes way up in value if he increases his recognition over here. He can't play forever, and the celebrity prospects in the U.S. are pretty high. Plus, where else would Whoever Spice (sorry, I can't remember--was she posh? was she sporty? was she the smart one?) rather be for her career than L.A.?

And what if it all has the side effect of raising soccer consiousness in the US? It's all good, right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

rbwow, that's crazy. I can't imagine him not playing in the UK. The brits must be crushed.

robyncz said...

rbwow? What the hell does that mean???

Sara, I said the same thing to Davy (about him not playing in the UK), who promptly informed me that Beckham played for Madrid--which is (ahem) not so much in the UK. Who knew????

Anonymous said...

Why this makes sense for Beckham:

1. $1,000,000 salary. That's per week.
2. His international career was already over at 31, so he has nothing to lose.
3. Excellent plastic surgery facilities for Poshie (see below).
4. He was out of favour at Real, where he never fit in.
5. His reputation is so out of line with is ability that this was a unique opportunity to cash in.

Why this makes sense for the MLS:

1. ?

David Beckham will command more in salary than the rest of the league put together. I just can't see betting the entire league on one player. Especially Becks, who, despite his fame, is pretty much a one-trick pony at this stage. He's a brilliant right-footed crosser. He no longer has much pace, he's not a scorer (except on free kicks), and he's defensively suspect. Maybe if the LA club had a striker who was terrific in the air, but the best American striker, Brian McBride, plays for Fulham in England. I'm excited to see Beckham come to the U.S., especially since he isn't a complete has-been yet, but...$250,000,000 for five years? Isn't that more than the entire league is worth? Bah-I guess it's better than Figo going to Saudi Arabia.

Ok, Spice Girl update:

Ginger/Geri Halliwell (aka "Old Spice") is back working with the UN in Zambia.

Baby/Emma Bunton has a solo career of sorts, with two albums making the top ten in England. She has a single coming out for Valentine's Day.

Scary/Melanie Brown is best known for her affair with Eddie Murphy. Their wedding was recently called off, and Murphy has suggested that her child may not be his.

Posh/Victoria Adams is Mrs. David Beckham. She is best known for ridiculous boob jobs.

Sporty/Melanie Chisolm is cool and I have a refrigerator magnet with her likeness. She is a Liverpool supporter and has had the most solo success of any of the Spices.

robyncz said...

Damn Jake. You know WAY too much about the Spice Girls for a 40-year-old man. . .

Anonymous said...

I can't say I'm a fan of their music, but I found them fascinating as a cultural phenomenon. The movie was charming, too. Anyway, I have a desk full of Hello Kitty stuff, so is it really all that surprsing?

I probably come across as kinda creepy sometimes, don't I?