Sunday, June 03, 2007

My favorite image of the week

I read a blog called b.rox by a guy who lives in Mid-City New Orleans. The writer, a guy named Bart, has become a somewhat reluctant community leader in post-Katrina New Orleans. He works at a university in NO and his wife is a public school teacher. They live in a predominately minority area, and they're trying to stay there. But few of their neighbors returned after the storm, and the neighborhood, as I understand it, is still in pretty bad shape.

His entries are sometimes funny, sometimes painful, but always insightful. It's been a rough couple of years for Bart, but it's people like him who are keeping New Orleans alive.

That was a long introduction to the following excerpt from his 5/31 entry:

On our side of the street, two teenage boys are lounging atop a car. They’re acting all thuggish and hard, as teenage boys are wont to do, but they’re playing Connect Four. That cracks me up.


I just love this. This is what New Orleans means to me. It is a city of such dichotomy that it's hard to get your head around it sometimes. But the mental image of two tough thugs on top of a car playing a kids' game is going to stick with me for a long time.

3 comments:

Lisa Meltzer said...

"Pretty sneaky, sis. . . ."

robyncz said...

Hah! I actually had to read that comment 3 times before I got it...

Which brings me to a great idea for a quiz: Name that cheesy commercial from the 70s and 80s! Can you identify these?
"Take out his spare rib for one-hundred dollars!"
"Hey, baby, we'll be back to pick you up later."
"He likes it! Hey Mikey!"

Lisa Meltzer said...

Operation, Mr. Microphone, and Life Cereal?