Monday, July 30, 2007

The One Where I Talk About My Weight

Yeah. I know. It's the elephant in the room (ha--I'm still so clever, even through this veil of virtual tears). Those of you who know me in person know I busted my ass and lost a bunch of weight two years ago. 63 pounds, to be specific, which is no paltry amount when we're talking about a 5 foot frame. I spent, what, maybe 3 days at my goal weight? And then it started creeping back. I weighed myself yesterday after making the disturbing discovery that very little in my closet fits me. And here's the disappointing truth. Over the past two years, I've gained back 40 of the 63 pounds I'd lost.

Crap!

To anyone who feels compelled to think "Well, duh, if you go back to your old lazy-ass, eat-anything-you-want ways, of course you're going to gain it back," I would like to point out that I have not, in fact, returned to my old, lazy-ass, eat-anything-I-want ways. In fact, I'm still working out regularly and I'm still trying to be aware of everything I eat and make good choices each day. There is no question that I'm doing things better than I was before. But obviously it's not enough.

So, in the inspiring words of Sean (who, I'm quite sure was NOT referring to his weight when he posted these thoughts in his blog):

"hmmm...

what am i doing

i think something needs to change"

Yes, that much is clear. But what?

5 comments:

Sara said...

That sucks Robyn. I'm sorry this struggle continues for you (oh yeah, and for me too). Should inspiration strike...I'll let you know what I find out.
Sara

Lisa Meltzer said...

I lost a bunch of weight two years ago and I've gained it all back. I, however, have reverted to lazy-ass ways and my weakness for junk food. I recently had to go out and buy pants because all of my old ones made me look like a string of sausage links. I'm blaming it all on being in school. Nothing is more comforting after a test than a plate of fried chicken.

Unknown said...

My own lazy-ass ways have left me 40 pounds overweight for 10 years. At least you had the balls to try something.

No One said...

Sean gets more inspiring every day, doesn't he?

Any time you wanna go riding bikes, let me know. Preferably as far from Snow Beach as possible...

Tipsy Gypsy said...

I lost 50 pounds 2 years ago, and have managed to put back 15. I'm CONSTANTLY freaking out about my weight, so I understand where you are coming from. Just keep at it... the older we get, the harder it gets to take anything off.