Monday, June 01, 2009

A Remarkable Gift

Zoe received a very special gift today. It was completely out of the blue, and from someone she doesn't see every day. Zoe's just about to leave 3rd grade. In fact, the last day of school is two days away. Today Ms. Markham, her phenomenal teacher from last year, who is retiring after 30 years of teaching, sent her away with a very heavy bag that she was not to open until she got home. As soon as she got in the door she reached into the bag and pulled out a note and an old, tattered, hard-back Webster's dictionary. In the note, Ms. Markham explained that she'd had this dictionary for over 40 years, and it had provided her endless hours of learning, but she had never had as much fun with it as she'd had looking up words with Zoe last year. So she wanted Zoe to have it, and learn from it, and love it as much as she had.

Zoe and I were both flabbergasted. I know this is a gift that she will always treasure.

If it weren't a complete breach of trust, I'd publish Zoe's thank-you note here. Suffice it to say I couldn't read it without crying. I know I'm completely biased and all, but she's an amazing kid--on her way to become an all-around spectacular full-grown person. A remarkable gift in her own right.

2 comments:

::laineypoz:: said...

She is absolutely an amazing kid.

robyncz said...

Thanks!