That would qualify for the "obvious" tag on fark.com. I heard some audio commentary about this report on NPR yesterday. The only bit that seemed to warrant actually doing the reports was that both cyclists and drivers exhibit different behavior when the bikes are on the shoulder instead of a bycycle lane, even if the shoulder is wider than the bike like would be. The act of simply painting little bikes on the shoulder reduced the risk of accident, which struck me at least a little interesting.
Ah well...I'm sure this made sense when I typed it, but I haven't had my gallon-o-coffee yet, so your mileage may vary...
Good point! Of course the study made some less-obvious points (like bike lanes are better for motorists, too, but the headline just cracked me up!
We have bike lanes all the way down Escarpment, and it's great. Not only are little paintings of bikes on the road, but ARROWS telling the cyclists which direction to ride. I don't know why it's so hard for people to figure out without the arrows, but I think they make a huge difference.
2 comments:
That would qualify for the "obvious" tag on fark.com. I heard some audio commentary about this report on NPR yesterday. The only bit that seemed to warrant actually doing the reports was that both cyclists and drivers exhibit different behavior when the bikes are on the shoulder instead of a bycycle lane, even if the shoulder is wider than the bike like would be. The act of simply painting little bikes on the shoulder reduced the risk of accident, which struck me at least a little interesting.
Ah well...I'm sure this made sense when I typed it, but I haven't had my gallon-o-coffee yet, so your mileage may vary...
Good point! Of course the study made some less-obvious points (like bike lanes are better for motorists, too, but the headline just cracked me up!
We have bike lanes all the way down Escarpment, and it's great. Not only are little paintings of bikes on the road, but ARROWS telling the cyclists which direction to ride. I don't know why it's so hard for people to figure out without the arrows, but I think they make a huge difference.
Mmmmmm. Office coffee. . .
Post a Comment