Yesterday, as I was entertaining myself by listening to mix tapes given to me by cute boys way back when I myself was a cute young thing (and yes, I DO realize that I may very well be in the midst of a mid-life crisis), I happened across a song that I had completely forgotten about. When I was 17, maybe 18 years old, I absolutely adored the song Somebody by Depeche Mode. I used to listen to it over and over again, memorizing the words and (more often than not) crying as I wrote bad poetry and wondered if I would ever have somebody in my life who could live up to the "somebody" described in the song.
As I heard the opening notes on Adam's tape yesterday, I was immediately transported back to the late 1980s, and all the raw, hopeful emotion that that time represented for me came flooding back. Though I had neither thought of nor heard the song in at least 18 years, I remembered every single word.
And with tears streaming down my face as the song came to it's extrordinarily cheesy close, I realized I have EXACTLY what I hoped for all those years ago.
Which is to say--for all my complaining and carrying on, for all my worrying and wondering, for all my self-imposed anxiety and angst--I do know that I'm an EXTREMELY lucky woman.
And I'm grateful for that.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
i had a nearly identical reaction to Ministry's Stigmata...
*cough*
;)
Dude! You did NOT just completely ruin my moment?
THANKS! ;-)
It is amazing how similar the lyrics are between the two songs:
I want somebody to share
Share the rest of my life
Share my innermost thoughts
Know my intimate details
Someone wholl stand by my side
And give me support
And in return
Shell get my support
She will listen to me
When I want to speak
About the world we live in
And life in general
Though my views may be wrong
They may even be perverted
Shell hear me out
And wont easily be converted
To my way of thinking
In fact shell often disagree
But at the end of it all
She will understand me
Aaaahhhhh....
I want somebody who cares
For me passionately
With every thought and
With every breath
Someone wholl help me see things
In a different light
All the things I detest
I will almost like
I dont want to be tied
To anyones strings
Im carefully trying to steer clear of
Those things
But when Im asleep
I want somebody
Who will put their arms around me
And kiss me tenderly
Though things like this
Make me sick
In a case like this
Ill get away with it
Aaaahhhhh....
----------------
Stronger than reason
Stronger than lies
The only truth I know
Is the look in your eyes
The look in your eyes!
Just like a car crash
Just like a knife
My favourite weapon
Is the look in your eyes
Youve run out of lies!
Youve run out of lies!
Youve run out of lies!
Youve run out of lies!
Youve run out of lies!
Youve run out of lies!
Youve run out of lies!
Theres a ton locked in your empty eyes
Get out of my life!
Im chewing on glass
And eating my fingers
Im not the one
Whos run out of lies
Lies!
Youve run out of lies!
Youve run out of lies!
Youve run out of lies!
Youve run out of lies!
Youve run out of time!
Cutting my face
And walking on splinters
I lost my soul
To the look in your eyes
Your eyes!
You ran out of lies!
You ran out of lies!
You ran out of lies!
You ran out of time!
Stigmata!
O, you have empty eyes!...
They tell me nothing, nothing but lies
Sean, Davy,
You both officially SUCK. And Davy, I take it all back. I'm switching from Somebody to Stigmata.
Men are morons!
(am I allowed to say that, or is someone going to come picket my house now?)
**off to picket your house**
really, I just want to come and visit and this gives me a reason.
Post a Comment